Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Eggs & Jack-O-Lanterns

Yesterday, I was asked if we colored Easter eggs. I was embarrassed to admit we didn't. It's a combination of things that keep us from it...first of all, no one in our family likes boiled eggs or anything that boiled eggs go into. On a deeper level, coloring Easter eggs and carving Jack-o-Lanterns were just the kinds of things I looked so forward to as a mom. I have such fond memories of doing just that with my own mom...

The truth is, autism interfered with this ritual too. It's just not something Jackson could ever 'handle' doing. The year he was just 2, we carved a pumpkin and he was distraught; though I'm not sure why...it was just before we started wondering what might be 'wrong'. It was such a disaster that we skipped Easter eggs and never got that into the habit...another thing I just avoided to avoid the meltdown/heartbreak. After all, one can go through life without ever decorating Easter eggs and still enjoy life... ;)

I've definately been thinking about this ever since I was asked though, and I can't seem to shake the idea that I've got to try again for Cal's sake. We did carve pumpkins last fall; Jackson could have cared less, but Cal loved it! Next year, we'll decorate Easter eggs and maybe, just maybe Jackson will join us....

1 comment:

tylerbritney said...

Give it a try next year. I bet Jackson will have fun!!!