Friday, April 18, 2008

Bike Rides and Warm Weather Rituals

We have this warm weather ritual: we ride our bikes to the "Magic Wand" (the local ice cream restaurant---for those of you who grew up with me it's like the Ice Cream Stop in Leo or the Dari Sweet in Grabill). Jackson loves to ride his bike there and since it was sooo nice outside today, he was determined that is what we should do....

Well, it's been a crazy couple of days and I'm really overwhelmed with so much to do at home and lots of other commitments. We had friends coming for dinner, I was in the middle of a project with my niece and just couldn't take time to go. I explained this to Jackson multiple times...to no avail. He'd come to me and ask to "ride your bike?" or "around the corner" my personal favorite [a new one] "you have to look both ways". I really just didn't have time and finally lost my cool with him...his next request? "Wait til daddy gets home" later, "Daddy will take you".

Unfortunately, he didn't get to take that bike ride today. Maybe I should have made time to do it....on the up side, he seemed to really enjoy our company tonight and I was pleased with his interactions overall...

2 comments:

tylerbritney said...

I hope you guys have some nice weather soon so you can take that bike ride and grab an ice cream. What a great way to spend time as a family :)

Kendall Johnson, Jr. said...

Hi,
I wonder if you'd ask Jackson what he would do to keep the bad hurricane (Gustav) from hurting people in New Orleans, Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, like Hurricane Katrina did on August 29, 2005.........?
Thanks!
-Kendall