Friday, November 30, 2007

Aha! Moment

My job is to teach kids. I actually specialize in teaching young children to read. Helping children become literate has been the focus of my career for the last ten years. You can imagine my frustration with my inability to help Jackson learn to read.

The past 3 days, I've been in some teacher training. Today, (for the fifth or sixth time) the leader reminded us how closely oral language is tied to literacy. Yeah, I'm thinking, I get that. I frequently work with English as a new language students and it totally makes sense with them. For the first time today, it hit me. Jackson oral language is delayed. He's just starting to make sense of print. He's always liked books and enjoyed listening to them, but he's just starting to take notice of print.

You can imagine how freeing this was for me; encouraging at the same time. I am certain that Jax will gain literacy as his language continues to develop.

Hope survives...

2 comments:

Maddy said...

Ooo yes a little adjustment in the focus and nothing seems quite as bad as it did a few years ago.
Best wishes

Anonymous said...

I totally get that. Matthew's receptive oral language is very low...and so to read him a story and then ask him what it means or what it's about...well let's just say it's frustrating!