Sunday, December 2, 2007

Here's a Survey

A friend of mine with a college student asked me to answer these questions so her son could use the answers in a research paper. It's interesting:

. Who in your family has Autism?
My 10 yo son Jackson

2. How does Autism affect your life?
Autism really impacts every aspect of our life; from where we live & work to what we're having for dinner. When Jackson was diagnosed I detoured my career as a school administrator to work part time as a teacher in order to be available to meet his needs. At the time, I thought it was a temporary set back. That was 6 years ago. When he was younger we had to be careful about where we took him. Crowds, new people and places were difficult for him. We consistently had plan B. It strained our relationship with family members who didn't understand why he wasn't "disciplined". It affects how we parent our NT son who is 4. As Jackson has gotten older, it's gotten easier, but only because we know better what to expect from him and he has matured to the point where he can understand and communicate difficulties.

3. What therapies have been done to help?
What hasn't? We started with GFCF diet and SuperNuThera vitamins. When we saw minimal progress, we abandoned the diet. We tried to continue with the vitamins. He's had ST and OT since the dx. He did have some developmental therapy. He went to a private TEACCH pre-schoool. He had VB individual tutor in kdg. At this point, we're focusing on social skills and life skills (IE: job skills)

4. How does it affect their school life?
We're very fortunate to live in a supportive and encouraging community. But, I"m always on the offensive to be sure that he is able to remain in his local school with his peers. He attends an intensive needs classroom part of the day and eats lunch, has recess, library, science, gym, art, music & computer lab with is NT peers. He's also in boy scouts and intramural gymnastics.

5. Does Autism affect going out to places / gatherings?
Definitely, too many people can be difficult for him. We planned our vacation to Disney world during it's least busy time of the year to be certain he would enjoy it. Again, this is definitely improving with age and maturity.

6. What is the most difficult part of Autism?
The everyday heartbreak. It's giving up on my hopes and dreams I knit into his soul as an infant and accepting that his happiness and being content are enough. It's also so very hard to witness his struggle to so badly want to participate in something, to be a part of something, but for that thing to be so overwhelming to him. It is such a quagmire for him. I so badly then want to extract every ounce of autism from his being.

7. What should schools & doctors improve on to help Autism?
Knowledge is power! Schools need to be more forthright regarding rights under IDEA

8. How do others you know view Autism?
I think the puzzle piece is a great 'icon' for autism. It's puzzling. Others want to know more, but knowing more sometimes makes it all the more puzzling.

9. How does Autism affect your career?
(See above) My career path is permanently changed. I currently work part time as a teacher and I'm not certain when/if I'll go back full time...

10. What do you think can be done to prevent Autism?
I'm really not sure. If I knew, I'd be telling the world!

1 comment:

Hummingbirder said...

Thank you for sharing. Your words were insightful for me.