Tuesday, September 11, 2007

So Here's the Thing

We had a good time at Disney. It was wonderful to be there when there weren't many people and definitely magical to see Jackson hugging Pooh, Tigger and Stitch; humorous to have Cal hiding under the table from the same characters.

But....

The thing is, it didn't start off great. In fact, though there were moments of greatness, I wasn't ready for the let down. No matter how much we prepare or what accommodations we make, the things is, Jackson still has AUTISM. So, it takes him time to settle in. It takes time to adjust; take it all in. The truth: I wasn't prepared for that. I thought I had my ducks in a row (we scheduled our visit for the least busy time of the year, traveled at times accommodating to his schedule and just hung out at the hotel pool Sunday); thought I could spare him anxiety and meltdowns. I can't. He has autism.

Sorry to be a downer, it just sucks that once again, autism colors our world. And truly it is our world. Our family is colored by this disability. Our experiences, joys, travels, everything is colored; kind of like the puzzle pieces that have become the autism icon.

Disney was great. Epcot was truly a family favorite; we all enjoyed Soarin and the Test Track. Both boys loved Buzz Lightyear and the Dumbo Elephants. We were all scared half to death in the dinosaur ride and my eternal favorite remains "It's a Small World". It was magical, it was larger than life. Just not larger than life with autism.....

No comments: