Saturday, September 15, 2007

Environmental Audit

I talked to Jackson's teacher the day of open house. She was curious about his activities/behaviors at home. It got me thinking about how he spends his time at home. Today, I really paid attention to it (basically from 3:00 on). So here is a synopsis:

3:00 asks me to build a fire: "fire? you build a fire?"

3:15 goes outside to the fire pit

3:20 brings out 25 stuffed animals to enjoy the fire

[don't want to continue w/the times...]

put Pooh on a lawn chair to enjoy the fire

stimmed on the phrase: "pooh is in the fire pit" repeating it at least 50 times

put a blanket around Pooh

dropped sticks in the fire pit

swung on the swing set

fed pooh pizza

knocked on the door and said: "daddy come outside"

later came inside and played on Noggin.com

asked to go on a bike ride

All in all, I was pleased with this. I thought I might be disappointed; that there would be an excessive amount of stimming; excessive inappropriate behavior. Yes, he's autistic. Yes, there were certainly times he was "stuck in his own world" but all in all, I wasn't disappointed....

No comments: