Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Beyond Disney

So, I just read that post and noticed [again] the date. How could I forget?

Where were you on September 11th?

I found out about the planes hitting the towers on my way back to work from a home visit with a family notorious for truancy. I'm driving down highway 6 and hear a live interruption on the radio. I don't honestly remember which plane it was, but I remember being panicked and just wanting to go home and hug my son. Dan was home and hadn't even turned on the TV yet; when he did, I could just hear his reaction over the phone: shock, disbelief...

Then, there was my job. Trying to decide how to handle 650 kids and 35 teachers with different ideas about how/what to tell them. Parents coming in and out of the building all day to pick up kids; they didn't know what else to do but hug kids close to them. The three Arabic families who all but disappeared in the weeks after the attacks...I still wonder about those families...

The date isn't one you'll forget. Probably like what it was like to be alive when:
Pearl Harbor was attacked
We dropped the bomb in Japan
JFK was assassinated
NASA landed on the moon
MLK was assassinated
Elvis died
The shuttle exploded (1986)
Princess Diana died

It also strikes me, that on 9/11/01 I was just coming to terms with the idea that my son had autism. I was probably still a bit in the state of denial. Still hoping beyond hope something would change that diagnosis; that somehow the child nuerologist was wrong and the 4 other professionals who danced around the a-word were right...

God Bless America, bless those who lost a loved one in the horror. Bless the heros who put their fellow man and country before themselves. Keep us safe.

No comments: