Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thinking Differently

I attended "autism team" training. (Which is another story in itself). I actually was dreading the time away from family and frustrated by the inconvenience of taking the time off. The first speaker was dynamic and interesting, but really didn't introduce me to anything new. We've been working through the maze of autism for nearly 8 years now and I thought I was aware of everything out there: diet, meds, therapies, even several fringe approaches. So Friday morning when I listened to a speaker talk about movement differences and autism, I was curious.

The more she talked and presented, the more it all made sense for me. In a nutshell, autism affects the whole body. It's a central nervous system disorder and considering there are nerves everywhere in the body, well, there you go. And this makes sense for Jackson: he doesn't have a "fast" gear. Even when he's in a hurry, his movement aren't fluid.

It was just fascinating to learn something new that was so applicable. Just proof that there is always another piece to this puzzle.

No comments: