Monday, October 12, 2009

Another Year Older

Jackson is twelve today. This picture is of him with Grandpa Bill (who shares his birthday) taken before we suspected anything could be wrong. (Doesn't he look happy?)

Of course, I'm reflecting on his life today. Moms do that kind of thing I guess. I found myself watching the clock and thinking back to the long night and day at the hospital. Remembering the miracle of his birth; we waited so long to be a family.

This is my grown up 12 year old boy--a photo he recently took of himself.
Twelve years of blessings wrapped up in a boy. Joys and heartaches, triumphs and sorrows, dreams and nightmares. What a journey through childhood we've had; not at all what we expected but rewarding in its own way.
I still can't help but wonder what my boy would be like if he weren't trapped inside the cage of autism. Some of the same things we wondered when he was born:
Would he be kind? Smart? Quiet?
Would he be play sports?
Will he be happy? Successful?

Of course I think he's smart and kind. I probably wouldn't use "quiet" to describe him, though others might. I know he enjoys being part of a team, even if his athletic skills are lacking. I definitely would have to say he's successful. He's found a way to reach out, to touch others without words. He's navigating the labyrinth of autism and still comes out smiling.
I don't know what his future holds now, any better than I did that day in the hospital 12 years ago. I do know that I will continue to support and encourage him to fulfill God's purpose for his life. Then, pray, pray, pray that I have the stamina to see him through.

1 comment:

tylerbritney said...

Happy 12th Birthday, Jackson!!!