Wednesday, December 31, 2008

This one made me think...

I ran across this article today about a journalist (Lenore Skenazy) who left her 9 year old in Bloomingdale's in New York City to find his way home via subway alone. [Evidently the kid had been begging to make his way home from anywhere for months]. At first, my response is, whoa! not sure that I'd try that! But upon reflection, I'm thinking, here is a kid who has grown up riding the subway, and will probably know how to get home on his own. [You can read the story here: http://www.nysun.com/opinion/why-i-let-my-9-year-old-ride-subway-alone/73976/ ]. He did, get home safe and sound, by the way.

Of course, as I usually do, I framed this as a parent of a child with autism. It's thought provoking really.
  • What can my child do independently?
  • How will I know if I don't let him try?
  • What am I willing to risk?
  • Do I know what he can hande?

Obviously, I wouldn't leave him to his own devices in New York City, but I am striving to find the balance. The right amount of independence for him with the appropriate amount of control and support. Am I too controlling? Probably. Do I give him a variety of options? I try. Still, I'm left thinking about this...wondering just how dangerous life can be in Churubusco, Indiana!

No comments: