Monday, December 27, 2010

birthdays, holidays and notes to mom

December has been a whirlwind of shopping, cooking, wrapping, visiting and celebrating. It's been a busy month and now I have a minute to reflect on how Jackson has handled the holiday bustle.

I was thrilled and nervous when he was invited to a special birthday party. The kids were going to ride in a super stretch limo to the movies and then to see the holiday lights at Franke Park. I didn't think he would want to ride in the car without me. Even when he attends youth events he won't ride in the church van without Dan or I. So, I was skeptical and anxious (maybe feeling a bit like he often does). I wrote a social story about the party and hoped that it would ease his anxiety. I'm so happy to report that he did just fine. He had a great time riding around in the "big car" with the kids. He was so excited that during the school day he almost ruined the surprise when he asked a friend in choir "You ride in the big car after school?" Words cannot express how relieved and proud I felt. It was one more step towards independence. One more piece of "normal" returned. Just having him included in the party is such a gift.

He handled our family Christmas marathon like a trooper. For us, Christmas started on the 19th and didn't end until the 26th. He's much better able to self-regulate in noisy crowded situations. This year, he had a litany of gifts he wanted for Christmas: Abominable snow monster, spotted elephant, charlie-in-the-box and dolly from the misfit toys, a big Charlie brown, a big Snoopy and a big Rudolph. Honestly, we worried because even though he was getting everything on his list, he wasn't getting them all at once. We held our breath Christmas morning, hoping he wouldn't have a meltdown over missing a few of the coveted items. Again, he surprised us with his patience and resilience. The only disappointment was that he doesn't get overly excited when he's happy. It's almost a letdown. He opens it like he knew it was coming. In the end, I'll take that.

Today I am taking him for the meningitis vaccine. I'm so not looking forward to it. Earlier as I was otherwise pre-occupied he brings me this note he as written: "Toksin Ts" and announces "Go to tokens and tickets." The note took my breath away. It's the first time he's used writing to make a point. His teacher will be happy to know all her efforts in written expression are paying off. He's beginning to understand the power of print. I'm blessed by this kid, who keeps me guessing and is full of love.

No comments: