Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Irritating"

We have blessed by the people who have helped care for Jackson while Dan & I are at work. Starting with his first sitter, "Nana Lesley" who cared for him as an infant (and we were ever SO grateful she did) to our current caregiver Miss Robin and those in between, Jackson and Callahan have both been cared for by devoted, loving people and I will forever be grateful for each of them.

Recently, during a snow day while at Miss Robin's house, Jackson, in typical Jackson form, was obsessed with going to Wal-Mart for a coveted Mario toy. I had promised him, "First Miss Robin's, then we'll go to Wal-Mart". When he's "stuck" on something like this, he needs to be constantly reassured that, indeed, the plan is to go to Wal-Mart for the promised toy. God bless Miss Robin who reassured him more than once of the plan. As the day wore on, his anxiety increased and he went to her and said, "You go to Wal-Mart" to which she responded, "Your mom will take you to Wal-Mart". Of course, he went through this ritual with her multiple times through-out the day, waiting for me to get there and take him to the store.

At some point, Robin's own mom stopped over and while she was talking to Robin in the kitchen, Jackson came in and started his litany. "Your mom will take you to Wal-Mart". God bless her, Robin's mom thought he was talking to her, and she said, "I'm not taking you to Wal-Mart Jackson!" To which Jackson turned, walked out of the kitchen and announced:
"You guys are so irritating"
How Robin managed to suppress her laugh and use it as a teachable moment, I will never know. She called him into the kitchen and told him she loved him and wasn't trying to irritate him.

My reaction: I cannot believe my son used such incredible vocabulary to identify his emotions and then, it was, "Where did he hear the use of that word?" Dan & I both felt a bit guilty wondering if that expression had come from either of us...the mystery was solved the next morning when "Martha Speaks" came on and the dog announced "you are so irritating". I'm really proud of Jackson's ability to internalize and transfer the use of that word. And, I'm forever grateful to my dear friend who managed to use the moment as a teachable one!

No comments: