Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pirate Big Bird



Jackson has been coveting this Big Bird since we were at Sesame Place; and of course, thanks to the magic we call "ebay" he knows he can get one. A few days ago he asked me to "get pirate big bird on ebay". (ok, yes, I was thrilled with his command of language and schema to bring the idea to the table...)

Now I'm dealing with his incessant request for this toy. I told him we would ask Santa for it...So (intelligent child that he is/or creature of habit I'm not sure which) he goes to the calendar and starts, "Christmas is in December. We have to wait 'til December" But, truly, it's so abstract for him. I often group things in 3's for him, so I suggested:

  • School Starts
  • Jackson's Birthday
  • Trick 0r Treat

THEN, Santa.

So, guess what my precious child is doing right now? Dressing up his toys to trick or treat:

POOH is wearing a ninja Turtle eye mask

KERMIT is wearing a build a bear superman cape

KIPPER is wearing a build a bear spiderman costume

PIGLET is dressed as batman

It's actually comical. Honestly, at times like this, autism is either heartbreaking or heartwarming. For me, it's heartwarming today. I love that the idea of trick or treat has sparked a tiny bit of imagination.

Just another day in paradise! As for the big bird, I'll probably end up bidding on it....

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Reading what you write about Jackson brightens my day!

tylerbritney said...

That's cute he's dressing up all his stuffed animals. Tyler dosen't "get" upcoming events, but it seems like Jack does. Bet he is checking the days off as they go by to get to his next upcoming event. Hope you win the bid on Big Bird! :)

Kathy said...

what an imagination!!! a bright spot in your week!!!