Sunday, January 13, 2008

Routine

Back in school (great sigh of relief passes)...

While I think that the variation in predictability is good for Jackson, I also really notice without structure and routine, he has a tendency to withdraw into his own world. The honest truth is that the holidays were so busy, hectic and stressful for me that I didn't make the effort to keep him engaged. Now that he's back in school he's more focused, verbal and settled.

I have to wonder, what 'his world' is like? What is it there that comforts him, draws him away from 'us'. Is his mind bouncing from place to place; or is he content to float within his own reality? Is he capable of actually thinking about his actions or do his needs propel him forward? I know he understands consequences and limits, but I have to wonder how he processes time, thought...

My insomniac brain has detoured to the curious, how far would we go to know his thoughts, hear his words beyond what he has now; what if the elusive "cure" is found? would his life be better? would he be grateful to be released from the prison of autism, or would he long for the isolation his disability brings?

My prayer for patience is answered daily when the Lord gives me opportunities to grow this attribute through the daily trials of living with autism.

2 comments:

Marlowe said...

"My prayer for patience is answered daily when the Lord gives me opportunities to grow this attribute through the daily trials of living with autism."
And patient you are my dear friend...I admire your courage and faith Heather. Jackson is awesome, and he couldn't have gotten this far without you.
Love,
Marlowe

tylerbritney said...

(((HEATHER))) I hope things have gotten better now that school is back in session. I think all of our kids were a little out of sorts. You are a great mom and Jackson is so lucky to have you!!!