Thursday, October 18, 2007

In Your Face

Again.

I had out all the old paperwork from the beginning of this journey. Back then there were countless appointments and professionals all with different opinions, most afraid to say the 'a' word to us.

Came across the technical medical reports from the child neurologist we drove 2 hours each way to see. As a glance over the reports some of the words still jab at me like a knife:
"abnormal"
"dysfunctional"
"no response"
"delayed"
"damaged"
*Sigh* it's been, what? Six years and these words still take my breath from me. They echo in my mind and bounce off the walls reminding me of all the things my son is not. Making it difficult to focus on all the things he is...
tender
curious
gentle
hesitant
happy, yes, I think so
happy

So, why is it then, that these worn-out words on an old report strike out at me?

hmmmm
autism is a journey, not a joyride.

No comments: