Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Ice Cream Run

       Ever had a memory leap out of your heart and roll down your cheeks? Tonight, I made a memory that sometime in the future will do just that.

     It's summertime, baseball season, a hectic time with  full schedule that is loosely knit.  It's a go with the flow, spur of the moment time of the year.  Tonight some good friends came over to deliver some furniture. (Yay me!)  The kids decided an ice cream run would be fun.  I didn't get to see them all hop in the car.  I didn't hear Parker offer to let Jackson ride in the front seat.  I didn't even see them drive off down to street.  It happened so fast, all of a sudden I missed it.

     We moms met the cool kids minutes later at the Magic Wand.  Everyone had some form of ice cream and we all enjoyed this summer ritual.  When we finished, the kids got up.  Jackson paused, and said, "Jackson's gonna ride in Paige's Jeep."  Very matter of fact.  Then, he followed them all to the car.

     This could have happened with any number of kids.  It's a very normal thing.  Kids go for ice cream, kids ride off together, kids laugh and sing in the car.   Kids do it all the time, most of you take it for granted.

     There is so much that I do not take for granted.  So much that makes my heart ache.  Tonight, Jack sang in the jeep.  His brother and friend had the presence of mind to record him for me.  Tonight he did something so normal that for just a moment, I could forget his limits.  I could forget what holds him.  I could forget the heartache.

     I know, I know.  There is so much he can do, many ways he is blessed, and much to celebrate.  I plan to celebrate, maybe with some ice cream.

4 comments:

Opinionated Pat said...

So happy you got to have this moment. Happy your handsome son got to be one of the guys doing what guys his age do. He is growing and how wonderful for you both. Love, Cousin Pat

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

13 Sad :( #DirectionersFuneral Tweet Trending On Twitter Read more http://www.tweet.co.in/2015/08/13-sad-directionersfuneral-tweet.html

cocoya said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

สมัคร D2BET