Saturday, October 1, 2011

Maybe there is something I don't see

Recently I wondered if there is something that I don't see in my son; that somehow the choices we've made for him are holding him back. What is it that I am missing? Over the years we've lived by two basic standards: set him up for success and provide him with a quality life.

So, I don't see him the way others might. When I look at him, I see all the possibilities that stretch before him. I see his strengths, his assets, his abilities. I choose not to see what limits him. But that doesn't mean that I do not live with the consequences of what limits him. That doesn't mean I ignore his faults. Spend an hour or so with Jackson, you'll find that those limitations literally scream at you; you would have to be deaf and blind to miss them. I choose not to let those encompass who he is.

When you look at my son, I want you to see the person that he is. I want you to define him by his sweet nature, his sense of humor, his connection with you. I do not want you to immediately identify him as disabled. I refuse to enable that stereotype, and I have generally found that since this is my attitude, it has become the attitude of those people around us.

There are times that I am confronted with people who do not share my philosophy and it makes me question everything we have worked toward in building Jackson's life. It makes me ask, "Is there something I don't see?"

Change is inevitable. I believe Jackson will promote change in the hearts of many others. It's possible (though I do not believe likely) that his story could change those people who seemingly want him to fit in a box; change them to see he is so much more than the autism that limits him.

I have answered my own question. Clearly, there is something I don't see. Obviously, I have chosen to ignore the attitude of some people. I have intentionally rocked the boat and pushed the limits. Indulge me, how's that working for me?

No comments: