Saturday, August 20, 2011

School Days

Jackson started 8th grade. Here he is on the first day:



This weekend I'm reflecting on all it took to get him here. Literally. I'm not just thinking of the in the moment stuff (like will he remember to put on deodorant and what shoes will he wear), but also the years of school that came before. I'm remembering how in kindergarten and first grade we visited his class and met his teacher to take photos before school started. I can't forget second grade when he missed the first day of school because he was having dental surgery. I'm remembering 4th grade when Arthur and DW went to school with him everyday, and he is remembering 5th grade when pirate Big Bird and Elmo accompanied him each day.

So much emotion, effort, energy, time and resources are reflected in this photo. We know it's best for him to stay in school with the kids he's been with since he was four, but there are others with another idea. Getting him here didn't always seem possible, and though I've always had a vision and purpose for our path, I haven't always been confident that my path was God's path for my son. Somehow, God quietly reminded me this summer on more than one occasion, we are following His plan for Jackson. I know God must have been with us all on those roller coasters at Michigan Adventures (!) and I could feel His warmth and love when my big sweet boy enjoyed the drive-in theatre with several friends.
Now I am praying that He will continue to be with and bless my son. The beginning of school is almost invigorating. Everything is shiny and new, kind of like a box of crayolas not yet colored with: sharp, sleek just waiting for a kid to pick them up and make some magic with them. I am praying God will continue to use those vibrant colors to illustrate my son's life. But if His plan includes some muted colors and greys we are ready for that too. I will hold fast to His plan for my son, and pray us through.

No comments: