Wednesday, October 13, 2010

On Life and Afterlife...

It's been a busy couple of weeks! Jackson turned 13, THIRTEEN, yesterday. We celebrated with his friends on Sunday. The kids all had a great time playing mini-golf and hitting in the cages at the Plex. Jackson was thrilled to have quarters to drop in the crane game, over and over again. [Thanks Larisa!] Everyone had a good time, and Jackson did as well as I could expect him to do.

His incredible teacher took time to bake a cake with him on his special day at school and used sugar letters to spell words on the cake. Evidently, he loved making and decorating the cake, but when it came time to actually eat the cake, he insisted: "No, you can't make me!" At which, this wonderful teacher, took him around to several other teachers and had him share his creation with them. That's the thing about Jackson, he knows how to throw you for a loop. Who would think a kid wouldn't want to eat a cake he helped make? Anyway, he had a great birthday, topped off at the 7th grade football game where the cheerleaders called him down to hang out with them and the Eagle Mascot at half-time as the fans joined in singing "Happy birthday". Only in Churubusco does this kind of magic happen. Someday, someone will make a movie about it, I'm sure. :)

I spent Jackson's actual birthday saying good-bye to my beloved Uncle Jack. Who reminded me from the time Jackson was born, "He'll always be Jack to me". I've thought a lot about Uncle Jack these past few days...he was an amazing, generous, and loving person. [I could stand to take a page from his book many times!] I've thought about Uncle Jack as another angel watching over my son from heaven. I've considered how my Jackson brings out the best in people. I could cite many examples, but just now, my heart is heavy and my eyes are tired. I'm content just to reflect on the goodness of so many people and especially, the goodness of one who will be greatly missed. Keep your eye on him from up there Uncle Jack! <3

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Sounds like I need to move to Churubusco IN! It seriously sounds like such a great and supportive community. I have a good friend in Ft Wayne, so there's another draw. That's it...I'm moving there.