Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Little Things

I picked up the boys after school today and Jackson couldn't wait to get into his bookbag. He quickly retrieved a candy cane and began to devour it. I asked him, "Jackson who gave you that candy cane?" "Mrs. Fulk" was his quick (and no doubt accurate response). Little things like that inflate my hope. He's meaningfully answering questions about what happened at school which for him is a big step!

Tonight, he also attended the basketball end of season "party". He has been attending some practices and the home games for the 6th grade team. This has been with the help of Micheal, an incredible teenager who supports him and shoots hoops with him. Tonight, he and Micheal walked into the building for the team celebration, and I watched my anxious son be soothed by this too cool young man; so naturally and effortlessly. Within a few minutes, I texted Micheal to be sure all was well--his simple response, "Yep, he's eating pizza and ice cream". I was moved to tears as I saw his gentle and simple interactions with my son. I thanked God (& Michaels mother) for this gift, this little thing that means so much to me. I wonder again about the place God has put me in and am ever so thankful for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

Have you read the book Feast Without Yeast? Four Stages to Better Health? The reason I ask is I have begun a nine month journey with a physician in identifying food allergies related to my Crohn's disease - I have 35 allergies. The biggest is yeast. I am now undertaking the candida diet which is largely gluten and casein free. He works with a lot of children/adults with a multitude of disorders related to toxins in food and the environment. Have you done any food elimination with Jackson?