Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Like a Box of Chocolates...

...the thing about autism is, you never know what you're gonna get; which in many ways is incredibly frustrating. Every once in a while though, there is a curve ball you didn't see coming and you connect and hit a grand slam. We just had a weekend like that.

My youngest sister got married in a gorgeous outdoor ceremony. Jackson did great sitting still, paying attention to the vows and patiently watching the wedding. During the reception, he enjoyed the music and company of others (while playing with the "busy toys" Aunty Tricia provided for all the kids). Of course, he was obsessed with when we would be heading back to the hotel to swim and asked at least 300 times about it, but somehow when it's all said and done, my pride in his overall ability to assimilate super cedes his OCD regarding the hotel. The wedding victory, though great isn't his grand slam.

After spending the night in Indy we headed south to Holiday World for a couple of days of fun at the amusement park. This setting can be like the perfect storm for Jackson: hundreds of people, various noises, water, rides, you get the picture. The first day he had a blast in the wave pool and on the 'lazy river', we decided as a family to push the envelope and have him try the giant water slide. This particular slide was 10 lines wide and similar to the giant slides at amusement parks you ride down on a potato sack. It was short and fast so we decided a good starter; for both boys. As we waited our turn to go down, I anticipated a meltdown. There wasn't one. When we got to the platform at the top of the slide, I anticipated a refusal to go down and imagined us walking down the steps we just waited on.

We didn't walk down the steps. Jax rode the giant slide on his mat smiling and laughing.

The second day in the park we waited for a couple of different slides for almost an hour each, at Jax insistence. He wanted to ride the BIG THRILL slides. My heart filled with pride. Here is a kid who at one time was afraid to ride the carousel at the zoo. He's now climbing 100 foot towers to ride water slides and waiting hours to ride.

As I re-read this entry, I am frustrated that I lack the words for the powerful message I want to convey. The triumph, the victory, the normalcy--I just cannot adequately express my emotion.

The past two days in the park were gifts; I was given back pieces of my son that I thought I might never see. He's just an amazing spirit full of surprises.

I often reflect upon what it is I want for my sons. The truth I always arrive at is contentment; quality of life. I honestly believe that we added to his quality of life this weekend. I know that I added to mine.

2 comments:

josh, julia, ethan, and amaya fisher said...

Thanks for sharing...what a wonderful testimony to how awesome our God is!

tylerbritney said...

This is just another example of small victories for Jackson. I am so happy you all got to enjoy the wedding and the water park. Its moments like this that we all need to look back and see the progress our kids make each day :)