Monday, May 12, 2008

Advocating

I'm pondering this tonight...what does it mean to advocate for my son? Sometimes it means making tough choices--can I stand to watch him flounder? will he make it?

Advocating means making the best choices for my son. I've got just one shot at this. I have to make every day count. When I read success stories or think about other disabled adults who are functioning in society now, there is a common thread: high expectations.

Never lowering the bar; instead, moving it up inch by inch always reaching, striving for the next level. Would I put my son in a place I know he'll fail? Never! Would I stretch him beyond his comfort level? You bet! Would I provide him a soft place to fall? Absolutely. Who knows this child better than I? It's maddening when "professionals" presume they know what is best for my son. I'm so curious to know, "do you have a special needs child? Do you know the challenge of caring for one? Have you walked in my shoes? Do you know my struggles?" Absolutely not, so stop trying to convince me that you know what is best for him. You're living in theory and programs. I'm living in life and ever after.

So, I'll advocate like a lioness. I'll defend my sons rights with passion and without humility.

"I have no time for fairy tales; I'm not a little girl" Gwen Stefani, No Doubt with Elvis Costello.

1 comment:

tylerbritney said...

(((HEATHER))) I sincerely hope the superintendent realizes how important it is to keep these programs for Jax and the other kids and in their own school area rather than bussing them to neighboring ones. You are a great mom AND advocate for Jax. I hope the other parents take a stand with you and you can win this one for the kids. Keep me posted (((HUGS)))