Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summer Break

June has been such a busy month for us! Baseball, the end of the school year and family visiting. Change in routine is always hard for Jackson, though he had fun at Turtle Days and enjoyed his "Survivor" party, all of it added to the mixed up routine.
I've found myself under an unusual amount of stress lately too, and it dawned on me that I am equipt with some coping abilities that my son lacks. He isn't able to filter, prioritize or ignore like I am. With him it isn't sink or swim; it's more like tread water until someone throws me a lifejacket.

Using that frame of reference, I try to be patient and reassure him. I'd like to say I'm doing well with that, but alas, I'm not. My abilty to cope and adapt is being pushed beyond my limits, I can only imagine what it's like for him.
And this gives me even more appreciation for my son and how he approaches life. He's thrown in, and has to survive the waves. Sometimes, he adapts quickly and others, he struggles to find his way...

No comments: